Monday, May 18, 2009

Wait. What just happened?!?!

I recently made the decision to move back home after being on my own for two years. I struggled with the decision for a while because I wasn’t sure I should go home, not because I couldn’t or didn’t want to (my Mom cooks dinner every night and does my laundry. Ummm…helloooo?!?!!), but because I thought I was giving up. I thought it was a cop-out. You have to understand that I didn’t move out of my parent’s house until I was 24. I never went off to college so I never got the dorm life experience, and after my stint at Central Piedmont Community College, I never made enough money to make it on my own until recently, so it was rather hard for me to go back so soon after I left. I thought I was giving up because it’s so easy to be home. There’s constant companionship, my pup is there, it’s rent free as well as grocery free, cleaning supplies free, cable free, internet free, miscellaneous-crap-that-you-never-think-about free…need I go on? So after much debate, I decided I’d just bite the bullet!! I’m going to go home and save the money that I would be spending on rent, cable, and miscellaneous crap so I can buy a house. I pulled into my parent’s driveway with my final load of stuff and my parents were there welcoming me back with open arms. I eagerly jumped out of the car and bounded toward them almost toppling them over in my excitement. It was like I hadn’t seen them in years! Like I wasn’t just there the Sunday before eating dinner with them, but I was home and it felt really good. I trudged up the stairs with armloads of stuff and headed to my old bedroom. After I dropped all my stuff in the first available place, I plopped down on the floor by a wall of boxes and burst into tears! Was I making the right decision? Would this work? How much have things changed since I left two years ago? I’m almost 26 years old and have to live in my parents’ house?!?!?! Ahh! After calming myself down, I realized I was doing the absolute right thing in my situation. I was going home not because I had to go home but because I wanted to go home to save money for a sweet pad of my own. I was brilliant. Six months later I would have a substantial down payment for a cute little house that I could call my very own. Not so fast. Enter May 6th, 2009. I was headed down I-77 going to class in bumper-to-bumper traffic when all of a sudden, SMASH! I slammed into the back of the girl in front of me, she hit the guy in front of her, and he hit the guy in front of him. I had just caused a four car pile-up on one of busiest streets in Charlotte. Awesome. I always knew I could stop traffic! Haha! Turns out that everyone was ok and even got away with minor damage to their cars, except me. My car was totaled. As in, totally totaled, won't turn on, has fluids and a bumper on the ground. I cried. For days. My car was such a great car, I never had any problems and the best part – she was paid off!! Now I have to get a new car with a car payment and that kinda puts a dent (no pun intended, haha!) in the” trying to save mucho dinero” department. My whole plan to save every dime I could for my “sweet new bachelorette pad fund” was gone in a matter of minutes, seconds even! Now it will take me twice as long to get to my goal. Which means twice as long at my parents’ house and twice as long dreaming of finally having a place to call my own. It just amazes me how fast your plans can change! I can’t help but wonder what His plan is for me, and why this happened, but I know there is a reason, and a great one at that. I can't wait to find out what’s in store for me next…

Daily download – “Tubthumping” by Chumbawamba – Oh, so very appropriate.


Thanks for reading,

M

No comments:

Post a Comment